Learn about important political issues this fall
Published: Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Updated: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 21:04
This is a response to stories by Mandie Rainwater, Brandon Martin and Amber Goldsmith on Arizona’s harassment bill, the national discussion alleging an anti-religious tone and contraception as a non-health care issue.
In an era where young people are constantly accused of being out of touch as well as not being fully informed about Constitutional matters may I applaud you all and Eagle News for caring about our First Amendment freedoms. You seem to have a real handle on the relevant law and issues.
This fall I am teaching a new live course at FGCU (here comes the commercial). It is PLA 4933 – Special Topics: Constitutional Law – First Amendment Freedoms, crn 82040, in Marieb Hall-Room 100, M--11:00 AM to 1:45 PM. The goals of this course are for the student to:
- Understand the development of First Amendment rights in American history,
- Appreciate protections and limitations regarding speech and the press,
- Argue for and against rights of petition and assembly,
- Know how to legally exercise freedom of religion,
- Realize that First Amendment law changes and is challenged by new realities and technologies,
- Apply constitutional, case and statutory law to First Amendment-related situations and
- Establish a foundation for classroom debate.
We will be handling such related topics as:
- Arizona’s harassment law and its effects on online free speech
- The Obama Administration health care mandate vs. religious freedom
- Using the word “God” in a public school song
- Miami Marlins Manager Ozzie Guillen’s comments on Fidel Castro in the press
- The press’ speech rights in reporting vs. sports player’s rights
- Atheists threatening lawsuits over memorial crosses at Camp Pendleton
If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
And above all keep thinking about these and other issues so crucial to our freedom!